Howdy Doody CBS members. By golly these Presidential ramblings are rolling around too quickly for comfort!
The April jam was a hoot! Rick Bamford’s Minglewood Blues Band kicked off the afternoon with some very fine playing from Rick, Deano Edgecombe, James Hoogstad and Bernard Morris. Then the jammers were up with some great performances. Of note were Ven Licciardello’s new band, The Drinking Lizards who gave us some great tunes. And then the last set of the day! Two new comers to the CBS jams, Kallan Phillips and Ben Blanch, got up and blew us away! It was great to see some young blood getting up and playing like there was no tomorrow! I’m looking forward to seeing them play again.
I’d like to congratulate the Harmonie German Club for the huge changes that have been made to the hall. I think most of the teething problems have now been sorted. The sound in the audience is much better and punchier without being too loud with out-of-control reverb from the room itself reduced. Also, the sound on stage is greatly improved with much better foldback. I could hear all the other players and singers, which has been a problem for a while now.
Put this date in your diaries folks – SATURDAY 3 AUGUST – International Blues Music Day. We’ll have seven acts (local and interstate) kicking off at 1pm. Opening the show is Flynn Gurry from Warrnambool VIC (Blues Award winner at the 2018 National Busking Competition in Cooma.), Electric Tommy Johnson (ACT), Queen Juanita & The Zydeco Cowboys (ACT), Kate Lush Band (Syd), Blue Tone Specials (ACT), RAMBAL (Melb) (formerly known as Justin Yap Band) and The Bellhops (Syd). The elves are busily working away on the poster and program which will be up on our website soon.
Some upcoming gigs in the region to look forward to –
- Thurs 16th May Key Grip at the National Press Club in Barton 7:00pm ‘til 10pm. For members & guests
- Fri 17th May Moondog Blues Band is on at the Austrian Club in Mawson. 7.30pm til’ 10.30pm FREE ENTRY
- Sun 19th May The Canberra Blues Society Blues Jam hosted by Muddy Wolfe at the HGC. Starting time is now 1pm. The HGC restaurant will be open ‘til 2pm.
- Sun 19th May Russell Morris LIVE + special guest The Seekers’ Keith Potger at The Abbey Gold Creek 6.30pm (details page 7)
- Wed 22nd May Eric Steckle (USA) with support The Barren Spinsters at The Basement Belconnen 7:00pm ‘til 11:00pm (details page 8) We have a double pass to give away in our Jam raffle. You gotta be in it to win it
- Fri 24th May PJ O’Brien Band at the Harmonie German Club Narrabundah. Doors open 7:00pm – 11:00pm FREE ENTRY
- Sat 25th May Chris Cain (USA) the Southern Cross Club Woden. Dinner/show 6:00pm/Show 8:00pm ‘til 10:00pm (details page 8)
- Thur 6th June The Kingdom Brothers (USA) with support The Divine Devilles at The Basement, Belconnen. (details page 9)
Other gigs in Canberra and the region are on the Gig Guide or check online www.canberrabluessociety.com.au/gigs
The Jam workshops have been moved into the auditorium until renovations are completed in the Keller Bar. Keep an eye out for the Workshops own Facebook page coming up soon.
‘Til next we meet.