Hi there and welcome to the first Canberra Blues Society’s Blues News for 2019. I hope everyone has had a chance to relax over the break, ‘cause it’s all starting to heat up for the year. And it’s hot!
The SunBears blew us away at the CBS Christmas jam in December! CC Hall, Craig Marshalsey and Dylan Harding put on a show that will be remembered for quite some time. With CC running around the room, playing sizzling solos while the rhythm section held down the monster blues energy of the band, it was a treat to be there.
And special mention to Jeffro Martin for coming to the aid of CC when he had a guitar strap malfunction! Was great to see some new jammers too.
Earlier in December I had the good fortune to go to Tathra for a short holiday during which the Candelo Blues Club held the monthly jam at the Candelo pub. The host band was the Mark Harley Band with well-known ex-Canberra, now Candelo, musician Paul Leader on bass. Paulo and the boys made me feel more than welcome and the afternoon was most enjoyable.
The CBS is on holidays for January so no jam or workshop this month. During the hiatus our venue, the Harmonie German Club has undertaken the refurbishment of the auditorium. I’m looking forward to seeing how it turns out!
That’s not to say there’s no music happening in January, and more to follow in February:
- The annual Bucky’s Big Birthday Bash is on again at the Austrian Club in Mawson on Saturday 12th January starting at 2pm and going through till late. Entry is by $5 donation which goes to the charity, Rise Above. Don’t forget to wear your Hawaiian shirt!
- The National Press Club start their Thursday night shows again with Julian James on 10th January, The Cyril B Bunter Band with special guest Mal Eastick on 17th January and finishing up the month with Chris Harland Blues Band on 31st January.
- The Thredbo Blues Festival is on 18th – 20th January. Tickets can be purchased from Thredbo Blues Festival.
- On Wednesday 6th February the first Canberra Blues Society jam workshop for 2019 will be held at the HGC in the Keller from 7 till 10pm. $5 CBS members, others $10.
- On Sunday 17th February the first Canberra Blues Society jam for 2019 will be held at the HGC with host band Big Gumbo.
Please note, starting time is now 1pm, not 2pm. The HGC kitchen will be open ‘til 2pm so you will now have time to grab yourself some lunch before the jam starts.
Just announced: Owen Campbell is the support for Hat Fitz & Cara on Saturday 2nd Feb. This gig is in the Keller so tickets are strictly limited. Get your tickets now so you don’t miss out.
Other gigs in Canberra and the region are on the Gig Guide. Sign up to CBS Newsletter mailing list or refer to the CBS website.
The 23rd Australian Blues Music Festival is on in Goulburn, 7th to 10th February and is free.
We’ve locked in our two host bands for the CBS Blues Jams in the Goulburn Club at the ABMF with Moondog Blues Jam hosting on Friday night 8th Feb and Rick Bamford Blues Band hosting on Saturday night 9th Feb. We’re looking for volunteers to look after the desk so please get in touch & let us know if you can spare an hour to help us run these great Blues Jams.
That’s all folks! Until we meet again, keep on Bluesing.