Hi there fellow blues lovers. First, my apologies for not being at the September Jam. Lady Bird (my partner) and I had booked tickets some months before to go to “Whole Lotta Love” at the State theatre in Sydney on the Saturday night. I can strongly recommend the show which occurs annually if you, like me are a Zeppelin tragic!
All reports are saying the September Jam was another great day of Blues in our fine city! Ali Penney and the Money Makers was the host band for the day and kicked off the event with some fine Blues, played impeccably as usual. After Ali, several new jammers played in the following sets that made for a great afternoon of impromptu Blues jamming!
I had the opportunity to catch Nick Charles a couple of weeks ago. What an amazing entertainer and guitarist he is! If you haven’t seen him, try to catch him next time he’s in town, which happens to be not so far away, see below. You won’t be disappointed.
On a sad note this week, Peter Gelling, one of Australia’s leading blues guitarists and harmonica players and patron of the CBS, passed away. Peter was recognised worldwide in the Blues community and will be missed.
Well! October is going to be a HUGE month of Blues.
- On Sunday 14th October, Claude Hay will be playing at the Harmonie German Club (HGC), starting at 3:30 pm.
- Isaiah B Brunt Trio will take the stage at the HGC on Friday 19th October at 7pm.
- Also on Friday, but a little further afield, as your desire take you, The Hillbilly Goats will be playing at the Binalong Community Club, Glengarry Road, Binalong NSW starting at 6pm.
- On Saturday 20th October 8pm, don’t miss Marshall and the Fro at the HGC.
- On Sunday 21st October the Canberra Blues Society monthly jam will kick off at 2pm at the HGC with Queen Juanita & The Zydeco Cowboys as the host band followed by some of the finest Blues musicians in Canberra jamming the afternoon away.
And previewing a couple of shows in November:
- The HGC will host Stars on Thursday 1st November at 7pm. The Stars line-up includes Nick Charles and should be a hoot!
- The Owen Campbell Band comes back to the HGC on Friday November 2nd at 7pm. A show not to be missed.
There are also two special events during October.
- First is the Gundaroo Music Festival on Saturday 13th October from 10am to 10pm. A big day out at the Gundaroo Music Festival is assured.
- The other is the Peter “Wally” Bamford Memorial Concert on 26th October at the Bushranger Hotel, Collector from 2pm till 12:00am. A great concert and a great cause! Canberra Blues Society is a proud sponsor of this annual event.
Once again CBS is sponsoring the Blues Award at the National Busking Championships being held on 3rd & 4th Nov in Cooma. Buskers must register online at www.buskingcooma.com by 28 October. See page 7 for details.
We are still looking for volunteers to help out at the Knuckles stand at Oktoberfest on 26-28th October at the Queanbeyan showgrounds. This is a great fundraiser for Canberra Blues Society. If you could spare some time for this, it would be greatly appreciated! Email K1 at email@example.com or call 0414 292 150.
That’s it for another month, so until next time, see ya later.