Hello again Blues Lovers! I’m over winter. That is all I’m going to say about that.
With work commitments I was unable to make it to the May CBS Jam. I have heard it was a fine afternoon of blues with Muddy Wolfe hosting the gig. Wish I could’ve been there!
I did get to see the Lachy Doley Group at the HGC, supported by Rhythm X Revival. What a great night of rocky blues, and that whammy bar! Love the whammy bar! It was a very well attended gig and I think everyone was glad to have been there. If you haven’t had a chance to see Lachy Doley, to quote Molly, do yourself a favour! I also caught up with local bands The Chesterfield Band and their dark evil twin, the SunBears the next night. These guys are off soon to tour Europe and the UK, and we wish them all the best.
Details are up on our website for our International Blues Music Day Celebration. Come along and help the CBS celebrate IBMD 2019 on 3rd August. Running from 12pm until 10pm the day promises a lot of entertainment with over 8 hours of music, Hot Rod display, market stalls, fabulous raffle prizes and the CBS members’ lucky door prize. Hot Rod display and market stalls on at midday. Seven top acts (local and interstate) with music kicking off at 1pm. Opening the show is Flynn Gurry from Warrnambool VIC (Blues Award winner at the 2018 Australian National Busking Competition in Cooma.), Electric Tommy Johnson (ACT), Queen Juanita & The Zydeco Cowboys (ACT), Kate Lush Band (Syd), Blue Tone Specials (ACT), RAMBAL (Melb) (formerly known as Justin Yap Band) and The Bellhops (Syd). Tickets on sale online at Eventbrite. Paper tickets available from our good friends at Songland, Weston (members must show a current membership card to obtain discount).
This brings me to another point ALL MEMBERSHIP RENEWALS FALL DUE on 30th June 2019, so please support your club and renew your membership now. We have a great CBS prize pack to be drawn at our July Jam if you renew by the due date.
Some great upcoming gigs in the region to look forward to –
- Thur 13th June at the Harmonie German Club – CBS presents Festival favourites Hussy Hicks from Qld with Kristy Lee from the US opening the show. Tickets available online at Eventbrite or from Songland, Cooleman Court, Weston.
- Fri 14th June, 19-Twenty is back at The Abbey, Gold Creek. These guys always play to a full house so get your tickets online now.
- The Chesterfield Band European Tour Farewell Show at Smiths Alternative, CIVIC. 9.30 – 11.30 pm. $10 gen / $7 CMC
- Sat 15th June, Ash Grunwald plus support Tessa Devine at the HGC 8:00 ‘til 10:30pm; Dinner Show 6pm / Show 8pm, tickets Eventbrite. We have a double pass to give away. (check page 5 for details on how to enter).
- Sun 16th June, CBS Blues Jam hosted by The Chris Harland Blues Band at the HGC 1pm – 4:30pm
- Fri 21st June, Lloyd Spiegel at the Royal Hotel, QUEANBEYAN. 8pm. We’ve negotiated discount pre-sale tickets for CBS members $20 Oztix (contact CBS for discount code) Door $30
- Sun 23rd June, Julian James is at the Old Canberra Inn 4 – 7pm.
- Fri 5th July, Bucky & Jeffro’s Pro Blues & Roots Jam featuring The Minglewood Blues Band at The Austrian Club in Mawson at 7.30pm. Jammers, make sure you get along to this one and put your name down to join the jam sets.
All the best ‘til next time.