Hello Blues devotees! So, as we bid goodbye to the first month of 2020, I feel it might be more a good riddance! Pretty horrible for most Canberrans and a complete catastrophe for others. As I write this in an air-conditioned shed in the middle of a racetrack in Bathurst, I see Canberra will get 41 degrees again today, with possible smoke and dust. And the fires down in Namadgi are still threatening with vivid memories of 2003. I hope this crazy weather settles down soon and everyone remains safe.
Seems January around the Presidential Palace is pretty much the same every year! I thought to myself, “What by golly, am I gonna write about this month?”… So I thought I’d cheat and go back and look at last year’s Musings. I could pretty much cut and paste it!
The one bit of music I did get along to was Bucky’s Big Budweiser Birthday Bash and what a great day it was! The biggest day on record for the Austrian club, the most people along to the bash and the most money raised by the Bash for the charity, Rise Above! One of many highlights on the day was the resounding call for encores from the audience at the end of Bucky and Bob’s band, the Rodeo Clowns set. A great day was had by everyone and lots of very generous people offering more than the $5 entry!
The first Blues Jam for 2020 will be on 16th of February. Really looking forward to that, with Moondog Blues Band hosting. And the CBS Blues workshop will be on Wednesday 5th February. Don’t forget the entry for both has increased.
Blues Jams – $5 for CBS members and $10 for others and Jam Workshops – $10 for CBS members and $15 for others.
So what else is going on in February?
The Australian Blues Music Festival is on from 7 – 9 February at various venues in GOULBURN. This is now a completely FREE event. People who have already purchased tickets are to be refunded.
If you’re heading up to the festival make sure you get along to our Blues Jams held at the Goulburn Club in Market Street.
- 7th Feb: CBS Blues Jam hosted by Muddy Wolfe at The Goulburn Club 9pm – 1am
- 8th Feb: CBS Blues Jam hosted by Dean Edgecombe & The Seventh Sons at The Goulburn Club 9pm – 1am
- Sunday 9th Feb: Candelo Blues Club Jam hosted by 8 Ball Aitken at the Candelo Hotel in Candelo 1 – 4pm
- Saturday 22nd Feb: CBS presents BONDI CIGARS and guest support Moondog (solo) at the HGC, Doors: 7.30, Show: 8-10.30pm. Pre-sales: CBS $20/Gen $25 +bf Humanitix or Songland -Door $30.
- Friday 28th Feb: Moondog Blues Band at The Austrian Club in Mawson 7.30 -10.30pm
- Saturday 29th Feb: Key Grip – Sounding the Alert for Climate Action event at Beyond Q Bookshop in Weston 1:30- 2:30pm
Some exciting news just in. Ray Beadle (representing Sydney Blues Society) made it into the finals at the International Blues Challenge in Memphis. An outstanding achievement & hearty congratulations to Ray.
And Chris Harland Blues Band has a new CD coming out very soon. We’ll keep you posted.
Hope February is a better month for everyone. Stay safe.